Friday, October 08, 2004

Spinning up

At 0001 hrs today we started to wear our "battle rattle", or as it's more affectionately known, our crap. We'll get to wear this until the end of the exercise, or "endex". When I was first in the Army, I thought this was "index", and had no idea what it meant. Now, it has become one of the sweetest words in the military lexicon. Basically it means, there will be an end to the horror.

All of our building are "hardened," so we can take off our crap while we're inside, which is nice. Just have to wear it while outside. It also means that we don't have to go outside and get into a simulated bunker during mortar attacks. We can just roll over and go back to sleep, for night attacks. The killers, who live in tents, will have to wear it much more than we REMFs.

We haven't really had Startex yet. We seem to be easing into it, starting wearing our gear, etc. before the actual play begins. Was supposed to be a 10 day exercise, but since we're starting early, either it will be longer than 10 days, or it will end earlier. Hopefully the latter, so we can move to our next station earlier. The next stop is the Intermediate Staging Base (ISB), which will be no fun. More on that later. I just want to get moved so I can get my shit set up so I can go on leave, which I will do right after endex.

No comments: