Saturday, August 13, 2005

Wrinkle free

I watched a soldier carefully fold his tee shirts in the Laundromat. His entire laundry consisted of five brown Under Armor tee shirts, the tight stretchy kind that fit sort of like spandex. He carefully laid out each shirt and smoothed out all wrinkles with the side of his hand. He tugged at the seams, pulling each straight and flat. Once he got the shirt lying as flat and wrinkle free as a piece of paper, he folded up the bottom 2-3 inches, creating a cuff around the outside of the shirt. Next he folded it into thirds, vertically, taking care to keep the sleeves unwrinkled.

As I watched, I wondered why all the effort at avoiding wrinkles; it’s a stretch shirt and any wrinkles it might have will disappear as soon as he puts it on. Once he got it neatly into thirds, he started tightly rolling it up at the neck, pressing down so hard that his fingertips whitened. When he got to the end, he tucked the folded shirt into the cuff and was left with a neat 4 inch long tee shirt sausage, suitable for inspection.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found your blog today and just wanted you to know that someone is reading your entries, and finds them very interesting. Not only that, I'm keeping you in my prayers. :)

Mike said...

Now that's doing things the Army way!

SquirrleyMojo said...

now that's the kind of man we need around here!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comments. Wish I could respond a little more directly and timely.

Anonymous said...

Drop by http://www.bamachickenscratch.com anytime.

David M said...

I better not let the wife read this one...she'll start expecting me to do the same!