Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Dahling, you've never looked so lovely

I had to use the internet café to post a blog, not my favorite thing to do. The A/C is weak and I was perspiring before I even got fully logged on. You have only a hard wood bench to sit on, and if it’s too close, or too far away, tough, because 3 other soldiers are sitting on it as well. The person next to you is just inches away; sometimes you bump elbows.

The last time I was in the internet cafe the guy next to me was a two finger typist. He typed fairly quickly using just his two pointer fingers, but that method requires a pretty close focus on the keys, so he was glaring down at the keyboard. What he lost in typing speed he made up for in vigor. He’d stab out a few letters, then WHACK the space bar, type a bit more and WHACK the enter key. I started to feel sorry for the keyboard. I’ll bet his two pointer fingers are shorter now than when the deployment began. Because both arms were pumping up an down, the guy's upper body was rocking from side to side.

I looked at the magazine rack on the way out, and noticed that someone had doodled on a picture of a famous actress. With the goatee, I think she nowe looks like Dennis Miller. I also saw similar doodling on a cover photograph of the new Pope, but that was a week ago and the magazine was no longer there on my most recent visit. I wonder if that had anything to do with the two little devil’s horns someone drew sticking out of the Pope’s hat.

No comments: