Saturday, August 13, 2005

That's bloke, not mate

Right now, Iraq is a multi-culti paradise. Folks from all over go through our chow hall. Brits, Aussies, Fijians, Irish, Indian, Pakistani, Pilipino, and all kind of racial and ethnic groups. I sat a cross from a guy the other day, and overheard him talking to his friends. He sounded Australian to me, so I asked, “Are you from Australia?’ He looked at me like he was Jerry Farwell and I’d just told him I’d seen him leaving a gay bar. Stunned incredulity, with no small bit of irritation mixed in. “No, I’m British” came the clipped reply. We got past the poor start and ended up chatting about the insanity of American security measures at airports.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's so wrong with Australia? http://www.palmmgt.com

Anonymous said...

Sorry, for RandR in Paradise, that'sPalmmgt.com

Anonymous said...

Ah, the Brits are great, but I've had a hard time with some their slang. While working in the UK a few years ago I became very concerned when one of the guys I was working with said, "Aye Blokes, I'm going to step outside and have a fag, want to join me?" After declining the invitation I made some discrete inquiries and learned that a "fag" is cigarette. But boy, was I nervious for a while.