Saturday, January 01, 2005

Rocketman

Rocketman is what we're calling the guy who fires rockets into our FOB from time to time. It appears that Rocketman is tuned into our holidays. He launched a rocket on Christmas eve, but it landed way off the mark. He launched 2 on New Years eve. One of them landed nearer than the others. No injuries, but everyone felt the concussion. I was in my CHU and it rattled things. Another one landed later that evening, but again off the mark.

I stayed up til 0400 watching the Liberty Bowl. I had just woken up the next morning, about 0800, when another rocket rattled my CHU. It sounded really close, so, not wanting the humiliation of dying in my undewear in bed, I got up and got dressed. Apparently that rocket also landed near our chow hall.

The rockets have to be tough to aim and to judge the proper elevation. Also, I'm sure that relative amatures are sending them, which explains the success rate. Sometimes the rockets land but don't explode. So far, nobody from my unit has been hurt by rocket attacks.

No comments: