Sunday, January 09, 2005

False alarm

I was watching Kill Bill Vol 2 the other night, wearing headphones, and I heard a distinct thump. Great, I thought, incoming. I wasn't sure though, so I put on my helmet and stood outside my door, which was pretty dumb because I ought to be inside when rounds are landing.

I heard voices in a nearby bunker, so I figured it must be Rocketman at work. However, I hadn't heard the "Alarm......Red.........Alarm.........Red" message broadcast over loudspeakers. I walked over to the voices and heard another explosion, but again, no alarm. After a while we decided it was our guns doing the firing and I went back to my movie. I later confirmed it was our guns, "firing in anger."

Interesting that something as normal as wearing headphones could be so risky. The headphones can obscure the alarm, and if the movie happens to be having explosions, - and really, what good movie doesn't have explosions - you might not discern the rocket attack.

BTW, I know that many folks think KBV2 is the best movie since Pulp Fiction, but I don't get it. For one thing, no explosions.

No comments: