Thursday, November 25, 2004

Whatta guy

Idaho's Governor Kirk Kempthorne is here seeing the BCT off as we leave. In addition to arranging the concert, and pledging to shake every soldier's hand, he has spent the day serving mashed potatos to the soldiers. He started at 1300, and is still there, at 1700. He plans to stick it out until about 1830 or so when everyonen has been served. Paul Revere has been right there next to him, serving turkey, the entire time. Five and a half hours.

I don't much agree with the Governor's politics, but I am tremendously impressed with his support of the soldiers. Serving meals is kind of fun, as least for a while, but you're standing and it's hard on your back, and after a while it's not as fun as it was. I lasted only 1 1/2 hours. For him to stand there and, literally, serve soldiers is a real gesture of support. It is not a hollow photo op, like holding a fake turkey to get a few pictures taken. It may not seem like such a big deal, serving mashed potatos, but I know I really apreciate it. So, my kudos to both Governor Kempthorne and Paul Revere for such a selfless act.

No comments: