Thursday, February 10, 2005

Everbody's Got To Be Somewhere

Went to another FOB recently, passed IED alley without event, but almost got left behind at the FOB. When it's time to go, by god, it's time to go. If you late, you late, ain’t nobody’s fault but you own. I’ve been left behind once already, so I’m sensitive about it.
I don't get any business done hanging around the main group, so I go off to talk to soldiers. However, the only way I know when they're leaving is when they pack up. If I'm not there to see it, I miss out. I was hanging around watching for them to leave, but got in a conversation and they left when I wasn't looking. I was about 10 feet away. Guess they didn't see me. Must be the camo.
Anyway, I noticed it had gotten real quiet, so I packed up and headed for the vehicles. I didn’t see them, and asked a soldier about the convoy. He said it just left; talk about a sinking feeling. I was headed back to the TOC, thinking about how to catch a ride back, when our convoy wheeled around a corner. Believe me, I was staring at the faces behind the windshields with great intensity, hoping to recognize someone. I did, my boss, and I hopped in. My boss said "You’re lucky." Indeed.
Turns out he was also lucky. He had another meeting back at our FOB, for which he arrived a half hour late. We had convoyed right through lunch. As he got out for his meeting, I offered him a Power Bar, which he eagerly accepted. Had we both not been so lucky, me and my Power Bar would have both been back in the other FOB.

No comments: