Sunday, February 06, 2005

Big iron on my hip

You've watched the old westerns, and have seen how men wore pistols in holsters strapped to their legs. Usually the holster hung off a second belt, and featured a leather tie to secure the bottom of the holster to the thigh. I never really thought about that, much, until lately.

Now I wear a holster and pack a pistol everywhere, and, frankly, it's a PITA. It might be different if I ever got to use it, but I don't, other than to clear it 3 or 4 times daily.

I had to get a special belt; a stiff, thick one, to support the holster, which hangs over the belt. I also had to start wearing suspenders, because the weight of the pistol and bullets pulls my pants down. Since I suffer from noassatol, the belt alone was insufficient.

The holster straps at the bottom around my thigh. However, my thigh tapers down from the hip to the knee, so the straps just tend to cause the holster to pull down. And, since I can't keep the strap very tight, the holster tends to flop around when I walk. This movement in turn is wearing out my pants leg under the holster.

The belt, suspenders and thigh strap don't do much for convenience when using the restroom, either. All in all, I'll bet that the pistol strapped to the hip was not as popular as the movies might protray it.

No comments: