Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Hot enough for ya?

It’s been warm here this week. 120 degrees a few times, and yesterday it got to 125 again. Our electricity went out at 0800, and didn’t come back until around 1900, due to a change over to a new power supply. My office heated up to 98 degrees, and my room got to about 106. I was sure happy when the power came back in the evening.

At 120 or 125 degrees, the heat is a force to be reckoned with. It feels like the air is thick and it completely envelopes you, like jumping into warm water. As I walk along in the sun, I can feel the heat from my clothing on my skin as the cloth heats up. When the wind blows, it really feels hot. You’ve opened the oven door and had the hot air hit you in the face. The effect is similar here when the wind blows, though of course not as hot as an oven. You feel that hot air, and you wonder if maybe it’s going to burn you.

When it’s cold and the wind blows, the wind chill effect makes it feel colder, even though the wind won’t lower the temperature on a thermometer. I guess your body creates a little aura of warmth that the wind strips away. Likewise, when it’s hot, I think the same effect applies, in reverse. The wind has been blowing here almost every afternoon.

Lots of soldiers work outside all day, and many of them have to wear body armor while they’re doing it. It’s difficult to drink a bottle of water before it gets warm, and who wants to drink warm water? I count my self as very lucky to work in an office most the time.

No comments: