Sunday, July 03, 2005

Cosmo girl

I was walking back from the chow hall tonight, waiting for traffic to clear and for the kicked up dust to settle, standing there by the road edge, sniffing dust and sweating in the 110 degree heat, when a soldier in a white Nissan pickup stopped and asked if I needed a ride. I didn’t think a ride would save me much walking, but I figured, “What the hell.”

I hopped in and asked him “How’s it going?” “Okay,” he said, “except for my personal life.” Sensing an opening, I asked “How’s that?”

Turns out he divorced early this year, but in late May he got remarried. Well, he has continuing financial obligations from his divorce, and apparently his new bride is in debt also, so money is tight. His wife recently lost her job due to cutbacks at the small medical office where she worked.

He has been sending home whatever money he can, but it is not enough. His bride has started stripping for extra income. They live in a small town and he is worried about running into someone who says, “Want to buy some naked pictures of your wife?”

“Well, it’s just bikini stripping, isn’t it?” I asked. “Oh no, butt naked” he said, with what seemed to me to be a bit of pride in his voice.

According to the soldier, his wife is a babe worthy of a Cosmo cover. It’s eating him up that a married woman, especially his married woman, is stripping. “I’m old school. That shit ain’t right.” He’s been occupying his time by working out in the gym and trying not to think about it.

Poor guy just wants to be home so he can provide for his wife and work on his marriage. He’s conflicted. He likes to have a stripworthy wife - who wouldn’t?- and is proud of her, but doesn’t want other guys checking her out. The future of his marriage is not looking so good at the moment.

No comments: