Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Rocketman

Rocketman has been getting frisky again lately, after a period of quiet. He fired a couple of rockets at or into our FOB (Forward Operating Base) last week, and another one last night. I never heard any damage report for the two last week. I don't think the one last night exploded.

I was sitting in an up-armored hummer last night, getting ready to go pick up some plywood. I had flipped on the start switch and was waiting for the "Wait" light to go out, so the glow plug or whatever it is could heat up so the damn diesel engine would start. While waiting, I heard a funny whistling, sizzling sound buzz overhead.

I thought it might be a rocket, so I sat there for a bit. I didn't hear an explosion, so I started the engine and prepared to move out. Just then I heard Big Voice anouncing "Alarm....Red...". Dang. Leadership recently cautioned us to stop nanchalanting rocket attacks and seek shelter, so I didn't feel good about driving off. I shut off the engine and sat there a bit, figuring I was as safe in an up-armored hummer as in a bunker. After a while Big Voice announced "Alarm....Black...", so we could move around guilt free. By then I had decided to bag my plywood trip for the night, so I went to work on building room divider.

1 comment:

Rod Duncan said...

Thanks again for your fascinating web log. I have no particular comments to make on it - other than the fact that I am learning a lot. As a novelist I'm always telling people that the trick of making description vivid is to include specific detail. That's what you do here - and it works a treat.