Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Back home

My unit has now essentially demobilized, and we are returning to civilian life. I, like many others, am still on orders, using up accrued leave. I plan to return to my civilian job after the first of the year.

I try not to talk too much about what’s happening to me in my blog, but since I’m not around soldiers much right now, I don’t have much to report on. We have our first two drills off, so we will all reassemble for the first time in early February. It will be very interesting watching the changes and dynamics.

Our unit, the 116th Cav Brigade, has been changed from a heavy armor enhanced brigade to a new Unit of Action. That means many changes, but we’re not sure exactly how it will play out. Also, various leaders are now due to rotate out of leadership positions, so that will also trigger changes.

I am in the process of moving back into my house and trying to restart my life. It’s been a week now, and my reactions to things continues to surprise me. For one thing, as I unpack I am finding it very easy to discard “stuff” I’ve been keeping. Having lived a pretty Spartan life for the least 18 months, much that used to seem important now doesn’t seem so.

Oddly, frequently when I contemplate my experience over there, I want to cry. I looked over a retrospective of our deployment, published by the Idaho Statesman, and cried all the way through it. I’m starting to tear up as I write this. I don’t know why.

I’m writing this from the Kuna, Idaho library, as I’m not back on line yet, so posting will be a bit sparse for a while. I’ll keep writing about the experience as long as I think I have something interesting to say. I will try to talk about soldiers, rather than myself.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad for you that you are finally back stateside! Go easy on yourself for a while, it's not called decompressing for nothing. I've truly enjoyed your blog, which I've checked on almost daily for the last 5 months. Thanks for your service to our country, and have a good,good Thanksgiving. Welcome home.

Quilting Goddess said...

I'm glad your back home too. I've enjoyed reading your blog and like others want to thank you for what you have done for the greater good. It would be interesting to find out what it is like to adjust to being home... Like how you like to handle rush hour traffic ... small stuff like that. Anyways, I'll enjoy reading whatever it is that you will write about. HAPPY THANKSGIVING

Anonymous said...

What's he that wishes so?
My cousin Westmoreland? No, my fair cousin;
If we are mark'd to die, we are enow
To do our country loss; and if to live,
The fewer men, the greater share of honour.
God's will! I pray thee, wish not one man more.
By Jove, I am not covetous for gold,
Nor care I who doth feed upon my cost;
It yearns me not if men my garments wear;
Such outward things dwell not in my desires.
But if it be a sin to covet honour,
I am the most offending soul alive.
No, faith, my coz, wish not a man from England.
God's peace! I would not lose so great an honour
As one man more methinks would share from me
For the best hope I have. O, do not wish one more!
Rather proclaim it, Westmoreland, through my host,
That he which hath no stomach to this fight,
Let him depart; his passport shall be made,
And crowns for convoy put into his purse;
We would not die in that man's company
That fears his fellowship to die with us.
This day is call'd the feast of Crispian.
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when this day is nam'd,
And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say 'To-morrow is Saint Crispian.'
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,
And say 'These wounds I had on Crispian's day.'
Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember, with advantages,
What feats he did that day. Then shall our names,
Familiar in his mouth as household words-
Harry the King, Bedford and Exeter,
Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester-
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered-
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

BostonMaggie said...

Wow, I am utterly without words.

David M said...

You wrote: "I will try to talk about soldiers, rather than myself." This sir is the true sign of a leader. Keep up the good work and Thank you for your service to our country!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I see you have a nice blog. I found it quite unique.
Hope it works well for you!
Phil

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.