Saturday, October 01, 2005

Self help

I went with a unit on some mounted and dismounted patrols today, in both Arab and Kurdish areas. (I'm nervous writing about thisl, given the new info re blogs. I don't want to divulge improper info. Hmmm. I guess being nervous is probably my internal warning that I'm treading on thin ice.)

What struck me the most was that the village leaders we talked to all asked for things from us. Water projects, help with setting boundaries between off limits areas and sheep grazing areas, etc. After listening for a while, I was yet again reminded of the communist background of the Baathist party, and its effect on the country.

Iraq has only been unified, in its entire history, when it had a strong leader. However, a strong leader means the individuals looked to the leader to get things done. Coupled with the communist beliefs of the Baath party, the locals aren't used to doing much more than asking for help.

So, in one village, we were asked about a water project. A canal flowed - that's misleading, as no movement existed - through the village, near houses, along the street. The water was filthy, green and full of trash. I saw one woman toss some garbage into it, right in front of her house. The water stunk.

When asked for a water project, we told them that they have to work through the city council and use the proper process. The didn't get this, for whatever reason. We also told them to use self help and clean up the canal. Again, I'm not sure they got this.

The Chai was hot and sweet. The famous Arab hospitality is alive and well, in my experience.

The children kind of circled around, and once we broke out the candy they mobbed the guy with it.

I gave one small girl a stuffed Pink Panther donated by a company in Boise. She grabbed it and ran off, pursued by other kids. As we pulled out, I saw a bigger boy holding the pink toy.

10 comments:

BostonMaggie said...

It's funny, but until I read this post, I never looked at Iraq this way. I am a Republican and a Bush supporter. I believe in OIF. I believe that this had to be done. However, I have been very exasperasted with the pace of the reconstruction. I have wondered why there is not more focus on civil projects. You have made me take a step back and see this from a completely different angle. Why aren't they organizing and doing more for themselves. Are we encouraging that? Have we been babying them? Have we been treating them in such a way that they are discouraged from taking the reins?
Very interesting. A thought provoking post. Thank you.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.